Some recent publications
(More publications here)
M. Fernández. Programming Languages and Operational Semantics: A Concise Overview.
Springer, UTiCS series, 2014. ISBN 978-1-4471-6368-8
From the reviews:
"This text can serve as a complement to traditional undergraduate programming language course resources or as the main textbook for introductory courses in programming language operational semantics. The book is well organized, flows well, and is pleasant to read. ... Summing Up: Recommended. Upper-division undergraduates and faculty." (D. Papamichail, Choice, Vol. 52 (5), January, 2015)
"There are many things in this book that would lead to its recommendation as a course textbook: it provides a good breadth of material, and a stepping stone from programming experience to more theoretical aspects of programming languages. ... it would be an excellent addition to a reference list that could be used to inform a solid understanding of programming language theory. (Sara Kalvala, Computing Reviews, July, 2014)
M. Fernández. Programming Languages and Operational Semantics.
Texts in Computing, Volume 1. King's College Publications, 2004. ISBN 0-9543006-3-7
M. Fernández. Models of computation - An introduction to computability theory. Springer, UTiCS series, 2009. ISBN-10: 1848824335,
From the reviews:
"The focus of this relatively short book is on newer object-oriented and interaction-oriented models, including recent work in quantum computing and systems biology. ... the book is designed for advanced undergraduate and graduate students. ... Each chapter starts by clearly indicating what will be covered and ends with a series of exercises. ... the book as a whole is extremely well written. Definitions are clearly stated ... . Each model of computation is precisely defined, and the examples are clear and to the point." (K. Harrow, ACM Computing Reviews, September 2009)
"It is a pleasure to see a book which takes a different approach to computer theory. ... This short book can be used for a one-term course ... . A valuable primer for students of programming languages. Summing Up: Highly recommended. Upper-division undergraduates and graduate students." (P. Cull, Choice, Vol. 47 (3), November 2009)
"In the preface, the author writes to whom the book is addressed: to advanced undergraduate
students, as a complement to programming languages or computability courses, and to postgraduate
students who are interested in the theory of computation. If used as indicated, this is a magnificent
book. Most of the chapters have exactly the amount of material that should be taught in an
(J. Guimaraes, The Book Review Column, 2012)
- I. Cervesato and M. Fernández, editors. Linearity. Special issue of the International Journal on Automated Reasoning - To appear.
- T. Altenkirch and M. Fernández, editors. Selected papers from RTA and TLCA 2015. Special issue, LMCS, to appear.
- E. Fairweather and M. Fernández. Typed Nominal Rewriting. Submitted, 2016. pdf
- S. Alves and M. Fernández. A Graph-Based Framework for the Analysis of Access Control Policies. Theoretical Computer Science, 2017.
Mauricio Ayala-Rincón, Maribel Fernández, Daniele Nantes-Sobrinho. Intruder deduction problem for locally stable theories with normal forms and inverses. Theor. Comput. Sci. 672: 64-100 (2017).
J Domínguez and M. Fernández. From Nominal to Higher-Order Rewriting and Back Again. International Journal Logical Methods in Computer Science, 2015.
F. Alarifi and M. Fernández. Towards Privacy-Preserving Web Metering Via User-Centric Hardware. ICST Transactions on Security and Safety 2(4):e4, 2015.
- C. Bertolissi and M. Fernández. A Meta-model of Access
Control for Distributed Environments: Applications and
Properties. Information and Computation, volume 238, pp. 187 -- 207. Special Issue on Security and Rewriting Techniques, 2014.
- M. Fernández and N. Siafakas.
Labelled calculi of resources. Special issue: Linearity in Computation.
Volume 24 Issue 3,
Journal of Logic and Computation, OUP, 2014. doi: 10.1093/logcom/exs021
pdf at JLC
- S. Alves, M. Fernández, M. Florido, I. Mackie.
Linearity: A Roadmap. Special issue: Linearity in Computation.
Volume 24 Issue 3,
Journal of Logic and Computation, OUP, 2014.
- M. Fernández and C. Urban, editors. Theory and Applications of Abstraction, Substitution
and Naming. Special issue of the International Journal on Automated Reasoning - 2011. DOI 10.1007/s10817-011-9217-2
- Linearity and Iterator Types for Goedel's System T.
International Journal on Higher-Order and Symbolic Computation, Volume 23, Issue 1 (2011), Page 1-27, Springer. DOI: 10.1007/s10990-010-9060-x
- S. Alves, M. Fernández, M. Florido, I. Mackie. Goedel's
System T Revisited.
Theoretical Computer Science, 2010.
Conferences and Workshops with Refereed Proceedings:
More publications here.
M. Fernández, M. Kantarcioglu, B. Thuraisingham. A framework for secure data collection and management for Internet of Things. In Proceedings of the Second Industrial Control System Security (ICSS) Workshop (part of ACSAC), Los Angeles, December 2016. ACM Press.
- M. Ayala-Rincón, M. Fernández, D. Nantes-Sobrinho. Nominal Narrowing. In Proceedings of International Conference on Formal Structures for Computation and Deduction. Porto, 23-26 June 2016. LIPIcs, 2016.
- M. Fernández, H. Kirchner, B. Pinaud, J. Vallet. Labelled Graph Rewriting Meets Social Networks. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Rewriting Logic and Applications (WRLA 2016). Eindhoven, April 2016. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer.
- E. Fairweather, M. Fernández, N. Szasz, A. Tasistro. Dependent types for nominal terms with atom substitutions. In Proceedings of TLCA 2015, 13th International Conference on Typed Lambda Calculi and Applications, Warsaw, July 1-3 2015. Volume 38, LIPIcs, 2015.
- M. Fernández, editor. Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Rewriting Techniques and Applications, RTA 2015. June 29 to July 1, 2015, Warsaw, Poland. LIPIcs 36, Schloss Dagstuhl - Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik 2015, ISBN 978-3-939897-85-9
S. Alves, S. Broda and M. Fernández. A typed language for events. In Proceedings of LOPSTR 2015, Logic-Based Program Synthesis and Transformation, Siena, Italy, July 2015. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer. pdf© Springer 2015.
Abeer S. Al-Humaimeedy and Maribel Fernández.
Enhancing the specification and verification techniques of multiparty sessions in SOC. Proceedings of PPDP 2015, 17th International Symposium on Principles and Practice of Declarative Programming, Siena, Italy, July 14-16, 2015. ISBN 978-1-4503-3516-4, pages 19-30. ACM Press 2015.
- M. Ayala-Rincón, M. Fernández, M. J. Gabbay, A. C. Rocha-Oliveira. Checking Overlaps of Nominal Rewriting Rules.
In Proceedings of Logical and Semantic Frameworks, with Applications (LSFA 2015), ENTCS 2016.
- M. Ayala-Rincón, M. Fernández, A. C. Rocha-Oliveira. Completeness in PVS of a Nominal Unification Algorithm.
In Proceedings of Logical and Semantic Frameworks, with Applications (LSFA 2015), ENTCS 2016.
S. Alves, A. Degtyarev and M. Fernández. Access Control and Obligations in the Category-Based Metamodel: A rewriting semantics. In Proceedings of LOPSTR 2014, Logic-Based Program Synthesis and Transformation, Canterbury, September 2014. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer. pdf© Springer 2014.
- Abeer Al-Humaimeedy and Maribel Fernández.
Enabling Synchronous and Asynchronous Communications in CSP.
Proceedings of the 9th Int. Workshop on Logic and Semantic Frameworks, with Applications. Brasilia, September 2014. ENTCS.
- Sandra Alves and Maribel Fernández.
A Framework for the Analysis of Access Control Policies with Emergency Management. Proceedings of the 9th Int. Workshop on Logic and Semantic Frameworks, with Applications. Brasilia, September 2014. ENTCS.
A. Ali, M. Fernández. Hybrid enforcement of Category-Based Access Control. In Proceedings of the 10th International Workshop on Security and Trust Management (in conjunction with ESORICS 2014), Wroclaw, Poland, September 10-11, 2014. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2014.
M. Fernández, H. Kirchner, I. Mackie, B. Pinaud. Visual Modelling of Complex Systems: Towards an Abstract Machine for PORGY. In Proceedings of Computability in Europe (CiE 2014, Budapest, June 2014). Invited paper (keynote presentation by the first author). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2014.
J. Dominguez, M. Fernández. Relating Nominal and Higher-Order Rewriting. Proceedings of the 39th International Symposium on Mathematical
Foundations of Computer Science (MFCS 2014). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2014.
- A. Ali, M. Fernández. Static Enforcement of Role-Based Access Control. Proceedings of 10th International Workshop on Automated Specification and Verification of Web Systems (WWV 2014), Vienna, July 2014. EPTCS, 2014.
- M. Fernández, H. Kirchner, B. Pinaud. Strategic Port Graph Rewriting: An Interactive Modelling and Analysis Framework. Proceedings of 3rd ETAPS Workshop on Graph Inspection and Traversal Engineering (GRAPHITE 2014), Grenoble, April 2014. EPTCS, 2014.
- M. Fernández and Marcelo Finger, editors. Proceedings of the 8th Workshop on Logical and Semantic Frameworks, with Applications, Sao Paulo, Brazil, September 2013. Volume 305, Pages 1-140,
Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, Elsevier, 2014.
M. Fernandez, J. Terrell. Assembling the Proofs of Ordered Model Transformations. Proceedings of FESCA 2013, 10th International Workshop on Formal Engineering Approaches to Software Components and Architectures, Rome, Italy, March 2013. EPTCS, 2013.
- M. Fernandez, I. Mackie, M. Walker. Bigraphical Nets. Proceedings of TERMGRAPH 2013, 7th International Workshop on Computing with Terms and Graphs, Rome, Italy, March 2013. EPTCS, 2013.
- M. Ayala-Rincon, M. Fernandez, D. Nantes-Sobrinho. Elementary Deduction Problem for Locally Stable Theories with Normal Forms. Proceedings of LSFA 2012, EPTCS, 2013, pages 45-60.
M. Fernandez, A. Rubio. Nominal Completion for Rewrite Systems with Binding. Proceedings of ICALP 2012, 39th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2012.
- M. Fernandez, S. Maulat. Higher-order port-graph rewriting. Proceedings of LINEARITY 2012, ETAPS, Talinn, 2012. EPTCS., 2013, pages 25-37.
- A. Al-Humaimeedy and M. Fernandez.
General Dynamic Recovery for Compensating CSP.
Proceedings of the 8th Int. Workshop on Developments in Computation Models (DCM 2012), part of CiE 2012, Cambridge, June 2012. EPTCS.
M. Fernandez, H. Kirchner, O. Namet.
A Strategy Language for Graph Rewriting
. Proceedings of LOPSTR 2011, Logic-Based Program Synthesis and Transformation, Odense, 2011. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer.
E. Fairweather, M. Fernandez, M.J. Gabbay. Principal Types for Nominal Theories. Proceedings of the 18th International Symposium on Fundamentals of Computation Theory (FCT 2011), Oslo, August 2011, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer.
S. Alves, M. Fernandez, M. Florido, I. Mackie. Linearity and
Recursion in a Typed Lambda Calculus. Proceedings of the
13th International ACM-SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles and
Practice of Declarative Programming (PPDP 2011), Odense, 2011. ACM Press.
- M. Fernandez. Nominal Graphs - Joint GT-VMT and TERMGRAPH Invited Talk. Abstract in Proceedings of TERMGRAPH 2011, EPTCS.
- O. Andrei, M. Fernandez, H. Kirchner, G. Melancon, O. Namet, B. Pinaud. PORGY: Strategy-Driven Interactive Transformation of Graphs. Proceedings of TERMGRAPH 2011, EPTCS.
- S. Alves, M. Fernandez, I. Mackie. A new graphical calculus of proofs. Proceedings of TERMGRAPH 2011, EPTCS.
M. Fernández and K. Steinhoefel (eds.). Proceedings of URC* 2010, UG Research in Computer Science - Theory and Applications. King's College London, March 2010. IFCOLOG, Volume 1, 2011.
- C. Calves, M. Fernandez. The first-order nominal link
Proceedings of LOPSTR 2010, LNCS 6564, Springer, 2011.
M. Fernández and O. Namet. Strategic programming on graph rewriting systems
In Proceedings of the International Workshop on
Strategies in Rewriting, Proving, and Programming,
Edinburgh, UK, 9th July 2010. Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science, Volume 44, DOI 10.4204/EPTCS.44
ISSN: 2075-2180, December 2010.
- M. Fernández, editor. Proceedings of the 24th International Workshop on Unification. Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science, Volume 42, DOI: 10.4204/EPTCS.42 ISSN: 2075-2180, December 2010.
M. Fernández, T. Kutsia and W. Schreiner (eds.). Principles and Practice of Declarative Programming,
Proceedings of the 12th International ACM SIGPLAN Symposium PPDP 2010. Hagenberg, Austria, July 2010. ACM Press.
C. Bertolissi and M. Fernández. Rewrite Specifications of Access Control Policies in Distributed Environments. Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Security and Trust Management (STM 2010), Athens, Greece, September 2010. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2010.
- M. Fernández and M.J. Gabbay. Closed nominal rewriting
and efficiently computable nominal algebra equality.
In Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Logical Frameworks and Meta-languages: Theory and Practice (LFMTP 2010), FLoC 2010. EPTCS 34, 2010. pdf
- A. Ali and M. Fernández. A Programming Language with Role-Based Access Control. Proceedings of URC* 2010, UG Research in Computer Science - Theory and Applications, London, March 2010. IFCOLOG Volume 1, 2011.
- C. Bertolissi and M. Fernández. Category-based authorisation models: operational semantics and expressive power.
In Proceedings of the International Symposium on
Engineering Secure Software and Systems, ESSOS 2010, Pisa, 2010.
Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2010.
- M. Fernández, editor. Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Reduction Strategies
in Rewriting and Programming. Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science, Volume 15, DOI: 10.4204/EPTCS.15, ISSN: 2075-2180, January 2010.